Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Bethel Daniel Fast Day 12: Feeling the Spirit

During this seasonal journey, I have found myself in wonderful conversations with members of the Bethel Family regarding the Daniel Fast. One conversation in particular seems to be particularly relevant today.

As I spoke with her, this one particular member commented that she was doing the fast, but she doesn't feel anything. I took the "feeling" that she was looking for was the "feeling of God". I inquired about what she doing. She was fasting, reading the word and praying. It seemed incomprehensible to me that a person could be doing all of these things and not feel the presence of God. Something didn't seem right so I began to probe.

Yes, she was fasting, reading and praying, but she wasn't spending time with God. She was reading God's word, but wasn't spending time with God's word. She was praying what I call the express lane prayer. In other words, seeking God requires more than going through the motions. We can all read God's word, a passage of scripture, but seeking God requires us to spend time with God's word. I invited this Bethel family member to begin journalling over the last days of the fast. Taking time to journal I believe would assist her (and all of us) to help us truly focus on God. Spiritual Enlightenment is the focus for this day. We won't be enlighten if we are rushing through the time we have set aside to seek God.

Matthew 7:7, "Ask and it will be given to you, seek and you will find, knock, and it will be opened to you." Join with me in asking God to fill us with the Holy Spirit so we may receive spiritual enlightenment and deeper worship to God's glory. Let us continue to seek the Holy Spirit to empower our praise together. Let us walk together to the door of a more meaningful relationship with Christ. Who will knock first? You? Me? It doesn't matter, let's knock together...

"Only God be Glorified"

No comments:

Post a Comment